Monday, August 17, 2009

A Hard Goodbye.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver passed away last week.
She was of course, the sister of John and Robert and... Ted.
Mother of Maria, daughter of Rose.
Founder of The Special Olympics...Benefactress of a great many philanthropic endeavors...
I sat and stared rather blankly at the TV screen as I heard this sad news,
But all I kept thinking was that Arnold Schwarzenegger lost his mother-in law too.


We brought her home Saturday morning,
for it was her wish to come home.
My husband stated "I don't know if I can do this"
I reassured him "Yes you can...I'm here".

...I secretly wondered if I could handle this.
I wondered if you'd mind. I wondered if you were aware.
I prayed to God for guidance...


The people from Hospice were amazing.
They brought us a hospital bed and an oxygen tank...
...and the morphine.

Together, my husband and myself and my sister-in law turned her, bathed her,
wiped her brow, and held her hand.
Always talking to her. Hating to leave her side, lest she slip away.
Yet praying for release of her pain.

...Don't leave just yet.
Open your eyes one more time.
I can't remember if I told you what a wonderful mother and grandmother you are...

...I know that you'd hate this.
To be so vulnerable.
You who were always so strong.
The one we always turned to.
The one with all the answers.
The fixer of our problems...


We assured her that all would be fine.
That we were OK.
That she could go.

...Please linger just a while longer.
There is so much left unsaid.
I need to thank you.
For everything.
I need you to know that you were my role model and I tried to be like you...
...I need you to know that I loved you...


Early last Monday morning, my husband lost his beloved mother,
and I lost more than my mother-in law.
I lost my friend.
Rest in peace dearest Lil.

1 comment:

Sara Elizabeth said...

I am sorry for your loss, Dixie.